Lydia Di Francesco is the Founder of Fit & Healthy 365 and Creator of the 15 Minute Workout Club, an online workout membership site. As a Certified Personal Trainer, Lydia educates clients and the public that healthy living doesn’t need to be complicated. She promotes simple, fun, exercise, self-care, and creating a healthy mindset with a long-term approach to wellness.
New Years Resolutions are where goals go to die.” That might sound extreme, but that’s exactly the problem with resolutions… they are too extreme. They usually follow along the all-or-nothing model of thinking where you resolve to DO something everything.single.day or NOT do something every.again. The problem? It’s not sustainable.
Unfortunately, while good-intentioned, you’re setting yourself up for failure (aka where goals go to die) because trying to be perfect is not going to happen. #sorrynotsorry
What to do instead of making resolutions
Set yourself up for SUCCESS by choosing sustainability over perfection. Sustainable doesn’t mean perfect eating or exercising every day. It means developing HEALTHY HABITS (exercise, nutrition, self-care) that you will do on a regular basis and maintain for the long term.
In 2017, BEFORE you make a change, ask yourself, “Is this sustainable? Is this a behaviour I can continue doing for the rest of my life?” If no, don’t do it. If yes, go for it!
Instead of feeling guilty > Learn from your experiences
What happened before is in the past. Yes, there may be some consequences, but you can now make different choices and get back on track. Feeling guilty keeps you in a shame cycle which perpetuates a negative mindset. If there is a lesson to be learned from the experience, acknowledge the lesson and keep it in mind for the next time. If it’s just an off day, take it as such and move on. It’s done. It’s in the past. Keep moving forward.
Instead of cutting out sugar (or another “evil” food) > Focus on eating whole, fresh foods (lots of veggies) every day
Eat well 80% of the time and don’t worry about the other 20%. Try to eat less food from packages. Make this easier for you by making time to prep food so you have healthier options in a pinch. Enjoy treats and sweets regularly (no deprivation), BUT in moderation. Since you are eating it regularly, there’s no urgency to binge because you’ll be having it again soon.
Instead of pledging to exercise every day > Schedule a reasonable number of workouts over the week
Promising to exercise every day is a recipe for failure because #lifehappens. Instead, plan ahead. Choose a reasonable number of days to exercise (3 is a good place to start) and get the “appointment” in your calendar.
Instead of long, boring 1 hour workouts > Do short, effective 15 minute workouts using full body movements
Fitting in a long workouts to your busy life can be tough. The good news is you don’t have to!! Short, effective 15 minute workouts are the way to go. Get more back for your buck (aka efficiency) by doing full body movements, such as squats, pushups, plank, etc. Exercises that use multiple muscles use more energy therefore burn more calories and help increase your heart rate and endurance levels.
Not sure 15 minutes can actually make a difference? Try it yourself with my FREE 1 Week 15 Minute Exercise Challenge.
Try this workout:
Post-Holiday Full Body Workout
Option 1: Beginner Level
Perform as a circuit starting from A1 to D2, doing each exercise for 30 seconds and then moving on to the next one. Complete 4 rounds. Go as fast as you can during the 30 seconds, while keeping good form. Rest as needed.
Option 2: Intermediate/Advanced Level
Complete as mini-circuits. Do A1 and A2 back to back for 30 seconds each for 4 rounds. Continue with B1 and B2 for 4 rounds, then C1 and C2, finally D1 and D2. Rest as needed.
A1) In-Out Hop Squats – 30s
A2) Forward Lunge with a Twist – 30s
B1) Pushups – 30s
B2) Lying Triceps Press – 30s
C1) Renegade Row – 30s
C2) Straight Arm Pulldown – 30s
D1) Plank Jack and Tuck – 30s
D2) Boat Pose Hold – 30s
Wishing you a fabulous 2017 where you become your healthiest ever!